The surface treatment that gives the black colour is a PVD process (Physical Vapour Deposition). Ions of titanium nitride and zirconium nitride are deposited on the surface of the cutlery through a vacuum process. This technology has been developed for the aeronautic industry and is used to cover the shuttles panels to make them
more resistant. This technology has found an application in the professional flatware business to satisfy the demand of hotels and restaurants that are looking for heavy duty black-plated cutlery.
This treatment gives the cutlery superb technical features like:
- Incredible superficial hardness (2,500 hv, 4 times a standard plating), allowing an excellent resistance to scratching.
- Titanium nitride and zirconium nitride are biocompatible and therefore 100% safe for food contact.
- The colour is the same as gold, but, changing the process parameters it is possible to obtain different colours. (Oro Nero / Bronzo / Champagne…)
- Thanks to the very thin TiN ions, the friction coefficient is strongly reduced and, therefore the surface becomes easier to clean.
- Thanks to the high hardness and chemical neutrality, titanium nitride and zirconium nitride make the cutlery much more resistant to corrosion. The colour never changes or fades.
Some laboratory experiments have shown how, within the normal use, the colour can resist to corrosion for more than 50 years.
The real value of an item is also measured by the benefit we get by using it everyday. All these ranges respect the quality standard of Mepra:
- Dishwasher warranty
- Anti oxidation warranty
- Peeling warranty
- Food contact warranty
- Certificates available upon request
Als check out our production video: